Friday, March 25, 2011

Make Up...Will it Kill Ya?

Does anyone else have a creeping sense of dread when smearing substances of unknown nature across their skin day after day? I mean, really, can you pronounce anything listed in the ingredients from your favorite designer's make-up line? And I know everyone is going to die anyway...BUT now 20 years *or more* into the daily barrage of making myself up with cosmetics, I thought it might be time to change my ways.

A couple years ago I stumbled across the idea from an old friend's natural living blog and stopped using a few questionable items. More recently I purchased some Arbonne skin care and mineral foundation from my mother-in-law. Now I'm ready to add on even more or change some brands etc. and have been shopping around trying to figure out what in the world to use....ya know, reading reviews and comments etc. A great site is the Environmental Working Group's Skin Deep Cosmetic Safety Database. There, you can search almost any chemically based household product and see what safety rating it has been assigned based on its ingredients.

So we'll see...I placed an order with Real Purity for some of their mascara and a couple samples of their mineral cream foundation. I don't think I'm going back to the Estee Lauder counter though...the gal who helped me this week was, well, very helpful, but I'm guessing their ingredients fall along the same line as most mainstream cosmetic companies'...with hazard scores off the charts! Ugh, and I'll have to try and break my Avon habit. Hmmm...that will be a challenge.

Wish me luck and comment if you have any tips or ideas about going more natural with face & body products!

No comments: