Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Can't Make This Stuff Up! (Part 2)

Okay, let's see if I can wrap this up while waiting for the water to boil! Where was I, ah, machine guns in the parking lot (see Part 1 if you have no idea what I'm talking about).

So I'm standing there, well, more like moving quickly to the door and watching while 100s of thoughts are running through my head. Are there terrorists getting ready to be apprehended? Are we in danger? Why is everything going in slow-motion? They sure don't look like they're in too big of a hurry for machine-gun toting dudes...hmmmm. Come to think of it, I think this is only the second time I've ever seen a real machine gun (i.e. not in the movies)!

The door to the school is only accessible with a key card and thankfully mine is out and ready. We hustle in and practically jog down to the office (Kai in tow and Zane is in his sling hanging out on my hip). The gals in the office asked if I got Elena dropped off okay....ha! Lost my kid, lost his coat, barely found drink money in the van (plenty of Chuck E. Cheese tokens though!), and WHY ARE THERE GUYS WITH MACHINE GUNS IN THE PARKING LOT?!!!! Ohhhhh...they sometimes do SWAT training out there. Really?! SWAT training in the parking lot of a church on the day that 2-3 schools meet at the facility? Really?! [UPDATE: My friend who is married to a KC Detective said that it wasn't training...they were responding to a disturbance that must have been close by!]

Well, at least that explained it and I felt much better. But geee-whiz, what a crazy morning! We went over to get some groceries and I got a call from the gal I chatted with before Kai disappeared...she had his coat! I ran after him so quick I didn't realize she was folding it and draping in over her arm. So, all's well that ends well I suppose. The rest of today has been quiet and ordinary. Kai and I played games and did a puzzle while the baby napped, we're home from picking up Elena girl (no machine guns in sight), Eric is home and dinner is about to go into the oven.

Ah, domestic peace.

No comments: