Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Me & My Midwives

So this post is a short break on Kori's updates, though I did see she is on the plane to Utah tonight and her family is feeling very discouraged after today. Your prayers are appreciated!

I have a predicament...first of all, being the natural gal that I am, I have been under the care of just the BEST group of midwives for the last six years. They practice with a group of physicians in Kansas City so I really get the best of both worlds. Eric appreciates that our babies have been born in hospitals (for backup emergency care) and I love their natural approach to pregnancy and childbirth.


The problem is, this time around, the midwives at this practice are no longer attending births or providing pre-natal care. Super bummer! Basically it boils down to the fact that I really, really, really like my midwife and the philosophies of midwifery and don't like the office telling me I have to see a MD instead (can you visualize the stomping of my feet?!). I actually have my second visit tomorrow (and first sono) and am deep in debate whether to stay at this practice or switch to somewhere else where I can be under the care of a CNM (Certified Nurse Midwife).

Okay, now that I type all that out, it seems obvious that I just need to put some effort into finding a new midwife (sob...I want Jeane!). The doctor they assigned me to is great and all...and probably more granola than most, but it's just not the same. I keep thinking about labor & birth and imagine having one of the other dr's that I know nothing about being on call and there for only the 5 minutes it takes...bright lights, no soft music, bossing me around. With as fast as I had Kai, they probably won't even make it to the hospital in time anyway...I'm hoping WE make it!

Okay, see...blogging is just good therapy...now I know I need to start a new search for a midwife (like I really have time for all of that), but I think I'll feel much better about everything. BTW, baby is 16 weeks now...according to babycenter he/she is about the size of an avocado and I should be able to feel the flutterings anytime...I'm excited--but not about the fact that I can barely squeeze into my "big" jeans!

1 comment:

mystic minstrel said...

i am with you on this one. my insurance didn't allow for a midwife option and i wanted to go with a water birth...which is big on the west coast, but not so much here. i think ku is the only place that even has that as an option. my other thought was...can't i just go out in the woods by myself and get the job done?

my prayers are with you that God will give you peace and help you find the right situation for you.