Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Marigold Meadow

I think when you're over 35 that staying up until 2 a.m. counts as an all-nighter. What an adventure! Kathy was here serving as my hair slave from 8 til about 1:15 and we thoroughly enjoyed viewing Persuasion in the midst of our chaotic experiments! Well, except perhaps for the world's longest prelude to a kiss in cinematic history...just kiss the woman Rupert!

Ah, yes, where was I? Hair. Okay, this picture is the final result, still auburn (bummer) but certainly lighter than where I began, so it's all good.

We started by bleaching all my hair with the soap cap...twice. The first time there was little change so on advice of my hair guru friend, we went for a repeat. Second time...wooo-weee...Kathy kept saying "that's really strawberry blond" in kind of a worried voice as I rinsed it out.

Here's how it all went down. My un-hennaed roots lightened with the bleach really well. The rest of my head probably lifted 3 levels or so...some strands lighter than others (that's my unprofessional opinion). The cassia-henna-buxus mix...


left a lovely marigold color on all the light roots...not enough henna in it to add the strawberry shade I desired. The rest of my hair got a nice gloss and condition from that mix, but it didn't alter the color.

Not wanting to have glaringly blond roots, I opted to go ahead and mix up another concoction, stronger on the henna this time, and applied to just the really yellow spots at my roots. I wrapped it all up with plastic, put a wool stocking hat on and went to bed (2 a.m.)! At 4:45 a.m. I woke up screaming (seriously, must have been some dream) and decided I ought to go shower it out. I showered in complete darkness, wrapped my wet head in a towel and went back to bed until 7:30 this morning. After a good blow dry this is what I've got. (I look kind of angry in the photo, really I'm not!)


If I want to wear pigtails, I might be in trouble, but otherwise I don't think it's going to be terribly noticeable---until it starts to grow out!


I think I'll tweak my recipe and start doing my roots with a cassia-henna mix to smooth out the transition. In the meantime...well, it was worth a shot, it did make some difference, and it was a fun girls' night. Life really is like a box of chocolates, isn't it Forrest?

No comments: